RAG4Clubfoot grew out of the vision of PDG Herb Wilson (District 6000). Because of Rotary’s success with polio eradication and improving health worldwide, Herb felt that clubfoot treatment and spreading of the Ponseti Method would be a good fit for Rotarians. We consider Iowa the RAG4Clubfoot “headquarters,” because the Ponseti Method was created by Dr. Ponseti whom studied and perfected his revolutionary treatment at The University of Iowa.
RAG4Clubfoot members come from Rotary Districts around the world, currently including Districts 6000, 5970, 5240, 5020, 9640, 5950 and 4420. Rotary Districts 6000 and 5970, the home districts of The University of Iowa and the birthplace of the Ponseti Method, are endorsing and supporting the effort to form a Rotarian Action Group to eliminate clubfoot disability.
A Rotarian Action Group (RAG) is “an autonomous group of Rotarians, family members, and Rotaractors who are experts in a particular field… and share their expertise by collaborating with clubs and districts on service projects.” Starting a group requires 25 prospective members representing at least five countries. Prospective groups are reviewed by the RI Board of Directors. Clubs in Districts 6000 and 5970 are actively seeking other clubs, districts, Rotarians, family members and Rotaractors to join in this effort.
The RAG4Clubfoot primarily works as a clearinghouse to facilitate links among Rotarians and our partner, Ponseti International Association to organize and plan Ponseti Method training grants.
Visit Contact Us if your club/district is interested in assisting or starting a clubfoot project.
Every 3 minutes a child is born with clubfoot. That is 200,000 children each year. Hundreds of thousands of these children will live with a lifetime deformity that will limit their mobility, their ability to walk to school or to play with friends and eventually to work. We can change that.
We have a simple mission: To support timely Ponseti Method treatment and appropriate care for all children born with clubfoot.
The Ponseti Method was developed at The University of Iowa by Dr. Ignacio Ponseti, M.D. His method for clubfoot treatment is nearly 100 percent effective when used properly by a trained care provider, and is considered the gold standard treatment for clubfoot. Read more >>>
How Can Rotarians Support RAG4Clubfoot?
• Join Us! Become a member of the RAG.
• Invite RAG4Clubfoot to provide a program during your club meeting. This is most likely to occur if your club is in Iowa; however, we have access to a great webinar program making it possible to virtually “join” your club if an internet connection is available.
• Contribute to the Iowa’s Gift to the World campaign or hold a fundraiser for the campaign. Donations support Ponseti Method global grant activities. This is a unique opportunity for Rotarians, as a generous Rotarian from Iowa has pledged to match dollar for dollar the first $125,000 raised through June 30, 2018.
• RAG4Clubfoot is creating work committees to accomplish specific activities like outreach, fundraising, marketing, etc. We are looking for Rotarians that want to get involved. More details about these committees and their activities to be available at a later date.
• Encourage your district to get involved by contributing District Designated Funds (DDF) to global grants supporting Ponseti Method training. Several training grants are currently under development and often we are seeking additional funding for these projects. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about training grants.
Visit Contact Us to discuss any of these ideas.