What is clubfoot?
Clubfoot is a global problem that occurs in every country. It…
- Is the most common skeletal deformity among newborn babies everywhere.
- Affects 175,000 to 200,000 newborn children each year.
- Has never been corrected in 100,000s of children and adults worldwide.
- Is NOT caused by fetal positioning, mother’s behavior, or any known cause.
- Occurs in approximately 1 in every 750 live births.
- Is twice as common in males as in females.
- Is present in only one foot 50% of the time.
- Shows only a very slight effect of family history.
- Clubfoot knows no social, economic, or ethnic boundaries.
- If untreated, clubfoot often leads to neglect, poverty, abuse, and missed opportunities.